Phone - 440-548-5408

Not yet Registered in our new auction system? Click "Register" near top of auction homepage.

Registered in new system but forgot password?  Click "Sign In" and then "Forgot Password."

Bid increments change at the following levels:

$5 from $5 up to $50.....  $5, $10, $15, $20, $25, $30, etc.                     $10 from $50 up to $250....... $50, $60, $70, $80, etc.

$25 from $250 up to $750..... $250, $275, $300, $325, etc.                    $50 from $750 up to $1,500.... $750, $800, $850, $900 etc.

$100 from $1500 up to $3,000... $1500, $1600, $1700, $1800 etc.        $250 from $3000 up to $6,000.... $3000, $3250, $3500,  etc.

$500 from $6000 up to $12,000....  $6000, $6500, $7000,  etc.              Over $12,000....$1000 increments

 

 

 

We THANK everyone for your interest in

Pole Top Discoveries' Sale #2110 which closed November 1.

Realized amounts shown do not include buyer premium.

 

 

 

 

× Bidding has ended on this item.
12.00%  Buyer's Premium
This Auction Uses Proxy Bidding.
Ended

#1824        736.1       Unmarked.        Green tinted teal.

  Lot # 1824
Listing Image
Pole_Top_Discoveries
Details
  • Lot # 1824
  • System ID # 479699
  • End Date
  • Start Date
Description

#1824        736.1       Unmarked.        Green tinted teal.

These unmarked, large "pilgrim hat" style insulators have been found almost exclusively on the route of the NY&ERR.

Measuring an impressive 4-1/2" height, this gem has extra thick glass, making it quite heavy.

The New York & Erie Railroad was completed in May, 1851 between Piermont, New York on the Hudson River, and Dunkirk, New York, situated on Lake Erie.  At the time of completion it was the longest railroad in the world.  When the telegraph line of the NY&ERR was completed in 1851, control of the line was placed under two superintendents.  Luther G. Tillotson was assigned the section between Owego and New York, and Charles Chapin the section from Owego to Dunkirk.  In 1852 Tillotson was made the sole superintendent, a position he held until his previously established railway and telegraph supply company in New York City required his full attention.  He retired his position with the Erie in the 1860’s.  

The original NY&ERR single wire was used so much by the railroad company that it was of little commercial value to the public.  The management of trains and company business kept the wire busy most of the time, prohibiting much of an opening for public usage.

In 1856 a second wire was erected along the NY&ERR right of way, which increased the ability to handle more messages.  Both the 736 embossed N.Y.& E.R.R. and the unembossed 736.1 were used extensively along the main line N.Y.& E.R.R. right of way in the 1850’s.

A fabulous example that remains in sparkling, wonderful condition!  Has only a couple very minor surface flakes, as seen in the second photo.  Finding examples of this insulator is quite difficult, especially in this marvelous condition!   

Great depth of color in this beauty too!  Love that crude, pebbly surface on the upper wire ridge!

Plunkett Family Collection.  Purchased by the Plunketts from Graham Barnes decades ago.